Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Mike Colter Talks Luke Cage

Last year, Marvel and Netflix announced an exclusive partnership to bring five original series to the online streaming service starting this year. Daredevil, the first series, is just over a month away from being released.

The Netflix format allows Marvel fans to binge watch all 13 episodes instantly, instead of having to wait for one episode every week.

The second show, AKA Jessica Jones, is currently in production and will likely debut near the end of 2015 or early 2016. This will give us our first looks at Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) and Luke Cage (Mike Colter).

Colter will be appearing in roughly six episodes of AKA Jessica Jones before starring in his own series, appropriately titled Luke Cage. Colter spoke to IGN about the Netflix series, his role in both shows, and what fans can expect. Check out the major tidbits below!

A popular theme of the various Netflix series is the tone and target audience. Marvel's TV shows and movies are aimed to be suitable for all ages, but that is being changed for the Netflix audience. Colter repeatedly mentions the adult audience saying, "It's geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe that you've seen before on the big screen." Then later saying, "We have a more gritty, focused story on our heroes and characters that live in New York City, but it’s geared towards a more adult audience and I think that’s the thing about the series that will be different."

As far as what part of Luke Cage he is most excited about portraying, Colter said, "What I’m most excited about is touching on what makes him tick. It feels good to get a character that has such a story, background, and history. And when I look at the scripts, I’m really pleased with it because it’s a slow-burn; there’s nothing happening really fast that gets ahead of itself. I’m really with where they’re taking it and how they’re developing the characters."

Colter also mentions how race may or may not be a factor in Luke Cage"If you are a certain race, you know that. It’s not a big thing with me. I’m a black male who’s playing a character who has historically been black. The approach with the character for me is more about the human qualities and the things that make Luke Cage tick. And the writers have to then decide to bring in the race of the character, if there’s an angle there. But I don’t look at it as something I have to prep differently for, because I am what I am and I approach the characters as they have to then be played by me, Mike Colter – the actor who happens to be black. It’s more of an aside, rather than something I take on by the horns. It doesn't really factor for me at all."

Share your thoughts on Luke Cage in the comments below!
Follow us on Twitter @Marvel_CMU for instant updates
on Marvel's growing cinematic universe!

No comments:

Post a Comment